I had a few issues whilst following the instructions to install Z88DK on Ubuntu 18.04 so thought I would document my solutions here in case anyone else has similar problems. Note that I am a Linux novice so apologies if any of this seems obvious for a Linux pro.
- The command
chmod 777 config.shfailed because that file does not appear to exist in the distribution any more.
- I did not have Subversion installed, giving me the error
svn: command not found. This was fixed by installing Subversion with
sudo apt install subversion.
- I did not have Bison installed, giving me the error
configure: error: Cannot find required program bison.Fixed by installing Bison with
sudo apt install bison.
- At this point re-running
./build.shgave me the error
Patch error -> patching file src/SDCC.lex Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected!This is because the build downloads SDCC via Subversion and then patches it, however because I had already passed this point in the build before the Bison error the patched files were still present. I therefore deleted them with
rm -r -f /tmp/sdcc. This had to be repeated every time the build failed.
- I did not have Flex installed, giving me the error
configure: error: Cannot find required program flex.Fixed with
sudo apt install flex.
- I did not have Boost installed, giving me the error
configure: error: boost library not found (boost/graph/adjacency_list.hpp).Fixed with
sudo apt-get install libboost-all-dev.
- I did not have MakeInfo installed. However this did not give me an obvious error; instead there was a warning a few lines before the end of the build output:
WARNING: `makeinfo' is missing on your system.. Fixed with
sudo apt-get install texinfo.
After that the build completed successfully. However adding the required environment variables wasn't obvious for a Windows user like myself. In Windows there is a single way to define environment variables; in the land of Linux it seems there are many. I found I had to include the lines from the instructions in the file
~/.profile rather than
With all that done I am now able to compile Oakley programs on Linux.